- corn tortillas, julienned 4
- olive oil 1 & 1/2 tablespoons
- white onion, sliced thin1
- cloves garlic, sliced thin8
- fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced 4
- skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips 8 ounces
- chicken broth 1 quart
- fresh lime juice 1/4 cup
- tomato, seeded and diced 1
- avocado - peeled, pitted and diced 1
- chopped fresh cilantro 1/4 cup
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion, garlic and jalapenos in olive oil until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, chicken broth, lime juice, tomato, salt and pepper. Gently simmer until chicken is cooked, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in avocado and cilantro and heat through.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with tortilla strips to serve.