- Medium dark-fleshed sweet potato1
- Cup all-purpose flour1/4
- Curry powder1-2 tsp
- Brown sugar1 tsp
- Baking powder1/2 tsp
- Salt & pepperN/A
- Large egg, beaten with a fork1
- Cup milk1/4
- Canola oil
- **If you like, add some grated onion or chopped green onions to the grated sweet potato. A tart apple might go nicely, too.
- Coarsely grate the sweet potato (don’t bother peeling it) using the coarse side of a box grater. Place in a bowl and sprinkle the flour, curry powder, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper over top; toss with a fork or your fingers to coat.
- Add the egg and milk and stir to combine well.
- Heat a generous drizzle of oil in a heavy skillet set over medium heat; drop small portions of the batter in and flatten them almost as much as you can. Don’t crowd the pan — depending on the size of your skillet, cook a couple or a few at a time. Cook until golden and crisp on both sides, flipping and adding extra oil as necessary. Serve warm, with sour cream or applesauce.